American Fellowship Funding program, offered by AAUW, provides significant funding opportunities for women scholars in the United States. Established in 1888, this program aims to support women pursuing an education and is the oldest non-institutional source of graduate funding for women in the country.
The American Fellowship Funding program offers three types of fellowships:
- Dissertation Fellowship: This fellowship supports women scholars in completing their dissertations. It provides financial assistance for living expenses during the final year of writing the dissertation. Applicants must have completed all coursework, passed preliminary examinations, and received approval for their research proposals or plans by the preceding November.
- Postdoctoral Research Leave Fellowship: The primary purpose of this fellowship is to increase the number of women in tenure-track faculty positions and promote equity in higher education. It enables candidates to pursue independent research for a year, aiming to assist them in obtaining tenure and further promotions.
- Short-Term Research Publication Grant: This grant supports scholars in preparing research manuscripts for publication. It provides funding for eight consecutive weeks of final writing and editing in response to critical reviews. The focus of AAUW’s funding priority is on applicants whose work aligns with the vision of breaking through educational and economic barriers for women.
Eligibility and Evaluation
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. They are evaluated based on scholarly excellence, quality and originality of project design, and active commitment to helping women and girls through service in their communities, professions, or fields of research. While the fellowships are open to applicants in all fields of study, scholars engaged in science, technology, engineering, and math fields or those researching gender issues are especially encouraged to apply.
The application process for the American Fellowship program follows the following timeline:
- August 1, 2023: Application opens
- November 15, 2023, by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time: Deadline for online submission of application, recommendations, and supporting documents
- April 15, 2024: Notification of decision emailed to all applicants
- July 1, 2024–June 30, 2025: Fellowship year
When a date falls on a weekend or holiday, the date will be observed on the following business day.
For Criteria Click here: