The UN Democracy Fund (UNDEF) is now accepting project proposals for its annual funding window, which will be open from November 1st to November 30th, 2023. If you are considering applying, it is highly recommended to visit the UNDEF website as soon as possible to familiarize yourself with the requirements.
So, who is eligible to submit project proposals to UNDEF? The following institutions are eligible:
- Civil Society Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) that are actively engaged in promoting democracy. These organizations are expected to receive the majority of the funding.
- Independent and Constitutional Bodies, such as Election Commissions, Ombudsman Institutions, National Human Rights Institutions, and other independent governance bodies. These bodies can submit project proposals that facilitate the inclusion of the voice of civil society.
- Global and Regional inter-government bodies, organizations, and associations (excluding the United Nations) that aim to strengthen the voice of civil society.
While UNDEF supports a wide range of projects, its priority is to fund Civil Society Organizations and NGOs, particularly those operating in the transition and consolidation phases of democratization. It is essential for the organization to be legally constituted.
UNDEF projects focus on strengthening the voice of civil society, promoting human rights, and encouraging the participation of all groups in democratic processes. The majority of UNDEF funds are allocated to local civil society organizations. However, due to the highly rigorous and competitive selection process, only less than two percent of proposals are chosen for funding.
The projects fall under the following eight main areas:
- Women’s Empowerment
- Community Activism
- Rule of Law and Human Rights
- Youth Engagement
- Strengthening Civil Society Interaction with Government
- Media and Freedom of Information
- Tools for Knowledge
- Electoral Processes
If you have a project that aligns with these areas, meets the eligibility criteria, and aims to strengthen democracy, don’t miss the opportunity to apply for UNDEF funding during the upcoming call for proposals.
for more details visit: Applying for an UNDEF project grant and selection process | Democracy Fund